The Shoe House, Inc. (dba AlansShoes.com, Alan's Shoes, Shoe District, Wide Wide by Alan's Shoes), hereafter referred to as Alan's Shoes, aims to provide a lower-risk environment for its employees and customers. We are continually improving the online and in-store experience for everyone while applying the relevant business and government standards.
Measures to support virus containment
Alan's Shoes has implemented the following measures to support the containment of the coronavirus (aka COVID-19) and to comply with government-mandated guidelines.
- Identify Workplace Coordinator for COVID-19 Response, who is responsible for working with executive team/store management to:
- Conduct an ongoing evaluation of our business locations to identify and apply operational changes
- Scale down operations to essential staff
- Develop, train, and communicate worksite-specific changes to our employees
- Protect Employee Health and Safety, includes but is not limited to:
- Instruct employees with symptoms associated with COVID-19 to report them to their manager and stay home
- Provide, instruct proper use of, and require employees to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while at work
- Educate employees in enhanced personal hygiene protocols, including frequent hand washing and hand sanitizing
- Instruct employees to follow personal hygiene protocols immediately after handling photo IDs, payment cards, and cash
- Modify Retail Store Operations, includes but is not limited to:
- Reopen our local stores on an adjusted schedule
- Devise and implement new ways for our employees to deliver exceptional customer service while adhering to all protocols
- Enhance store maintenance regimes in proper cleaning and disinfecting products, displays, and other high-touch surfaces
- Establish new workflows and schedules to include full store sanitizing and deep cleaning three times daily
- Adhere to social distancing guidelines, such as increased spacing between customer seats, which are cleaned/sanitized after each use
- Adjust Customer Shopping, Purchase Pick-Up, and Shipping Experiences, includes but is not limited to:
- Offer low-traffic, in-store shopping hours by appointment
- Make PPE and hand sanitizer available to our in-store customers at our expense
- Offer low-touch payment options, to include customer check-out at their seat for in-store customers
- Encourage customers to use credit or debit cards for payment instead of cash
- Offer online purchase of select brands and styles in stock, with an ongoing effort to offer more, as permitted by brand manufacturers
- Enhance delivery of online purchases, which includes free shipping with a minimum online order or curbside pickup
- Designate parking areas for customers who opt-in to curbside pickup
Alan's Shoes assessed the environment of its stores by the following approaches:
- Self-evaluation, which may include comparisons of our stores to similar retail store environments
- Consultation with external experts and colleagues
- Reviews of published resources, to include publicly-available documents by various authorities, as noted below
Guidelines and resources
- Arizona Department of Health Services offers guidance and recommends restrictions for reopening business in Arizona.
- U.S. Department of Labor has issued an alert to keep retail workers safe and guidance on preparing workplaces for COVID-19.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offer guidance and outlines health considerations, tools and new protocols for businesses.
- White House Guidelines for Opening Up America Again includes a proposed phased approach to mitigate risks of reopening.
We welcome your feedback on the COVID-19 protocols of all Alan's Shoes locations. Please let us know if you have any concerns.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: Alan's Shoes, Attn: COVID-19 Protocols, PO Box 37230 Tucson, Arizona 85740-7230
- On social media; Facebook AlansShoesHQ, Twitter @alansshoes
We aim to respond to COVID-19 protocol feedback within 5 business days. You are entitled to escalate any complaint to Alan's Shoes management, should you be dissatisfied with our response to you.
Despite our best efforts, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for Alan's Shoes:
- Employee responsibility: Due to privacy concerns, we rely on our employees to make personal, informed, and considerate decisions before reporting for work each day. Alan's Shoes management cannot ensure compliance with COVID-19 protocols when an employee is not at work.
- Virus incubation period: Recently published research indicates, on average, the incubation period for COVID-19 is any time from five to six days, while symptoms can appear any time from three days to two weeks after exposure.
- Medical science and technology: We strongly encourage employees to track their symptoms and consult a trained medical professional for proper evaluation and diagnosis. We also recognize that temperature screeners, COVID-19 testing kits, and related tools may occasionally produce inaccurate or misleading results, especially when used by a layperson. Currently, there is scant evidence that widely-available consumer-oriented apps can accurately predict an employees' health.
- Contact tracing: Due to privacy concerns, we have no access to contact tracing of employees or customers, nor of any of their contacts.
No method of preparation and protocols can ensure health and safety 100% of the time. However, Alan's Shoes values and respects its employees and customers. This means, we instruct our management to stay alert to emerging guidelines, principles, and protocols, and continually endeavor to modify our business practices accordingly.
This statement was created on 05 May 2020.