The Shoe House, Inc. (dba AlansShoes.com, Alan's Shoes, Shoe District, Wide Wide by Alan's Shoes), hereafter referred to collectively as Alan's Shoes, is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. Alan's Shoes is constantly working to improve the accessibility of its website for everyone while applying the relevant accessibility standards. This page is a general overview of our accessibility measures.
Measures to support accessibility
Alan's Shoes company management has appointed an accessibility officer who performs the following activities:
- Assess website compliance regularly
- Manage timely website updates
The Alan's Shoes website is hosted on BigCommerce. BigCommerce storefronts give merchants the capability of creating a WCAG-compliant site on their own or with third-party support.
The Web Accessibility Initiative (W3C) does not endorse specific products to perform website assessment, therefore, Alan's Shoes assesses its website accessibility through
- self-evaluation, which may include comparisons of our website to shoe industry websites and/or discussions with colleagues
- a hybrid approach to external assessment, using a combination of manual and automated testing methods
The United States Department of Justice position is that the ADA applies to public accommodations' websites. Currently, there are no specific technical requirements in ADA Title III relating to website accessibility, and the DOJ has allowed "flexibility" in how individual sites address accessibility.
The most commonly used and referenced standards are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA.
Alan's Shoes is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA. Partially conformant means some parts of the content do not yet fully conform to the accessibility standard.
Accessibility of Alan's Shoes relies on these technologies for conformance with accessibility standards.
These are designed to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on a user's computer:
The following plug-ins are installed on Alan's Shoes' BigCommerce account.
- AudioEye digital accessibility software
Limitations and alternatives
In spite of best efforts to ensure accessibility of Alan's Shoes, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact Alan's Shoes if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for Alan's Shoes
- Accessibility test results: We test our website regularly. Some parts of our site may be in revision to address known issues.
- Product images: Images of products are only used for decorative purposes therefore all uploaded images may not have text alternatives. Our product pages contain text-based descriptions of products as made available to us by brand manufacturers.
- Third-party videos: Videos provided to us by brands or embedded/linked to/from external websites may not include accessibility features, such as captions, a transcript, and/or audio descriptions. We cannot control third-party content, however we do alert our brand contacts about any addressable issues we may notice.
- Comments from users: We cannot ensure the accessibility of contributions from users, for example, in product reviews submitted through our website. We monitor user comments and typically repair issues within 5 business days. Please submit a comment if you encounter an issue.
No method of assessment can help maintain website accessibility and compliance 100% of the time. However, Alan's Shoes values and respects its customers. This means, we instruct our web development team to stay alert to emerging guidelines, principles, and technologies, and continually endeavor to bring our website into compliance regularly.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of Alan's Shoes' website. Please let us know if you encounter any barriers to accessibility:
- Email: email@example.com
- Postal address: Alan's Shoes, Attn: Website Accessibility, PO Box 37230 Tucson, Arizona 85740-7230
We aim to respond to accessibility feedback within 5 business days, and to propose a solution within 10 business days. You are entitled to escalate a complaint to Alan's Shoes management, should you be dissatisfied with our response to you.
This statement was created on 01 April 2020 using the W3C Accessibility Statement Generator Tool and was last updated manually on 13 November 2020.